Sculptra is an injectable treatment that gradually increases collagen production to correct deep wrinkles, folds, and creases caused by the natural ageing processes.  Sculptra is different from other dermal fillers, which use hyaluronic acid (HA) as their active ingredient. Sculptra contains poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA)—a biodegradable, biocompatible substance that boosts collagen production within 3-4 months. As a result, patients can see a smoother, more youthful complexion. Dr Hamlet and his staff at Dr. Grant Hamlet are pleased to offer Londoners this innovative cosmetic treatment. Patients interested in learning more about how Sculptra can revitalise their youthful radiance are invited to schedule a personal consultation with our staff. Schedule your appointment online or give us a ring at 0207 127 4377.
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Treatment Areas
- 3 Benefits
- 4 Candidates
- 5 Your Consultation with Dr. Grant Hamlet
- 6 Preparation
- 7 Procedure
- 8 Recovery
- 9 Results
- 10 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 11 Cost
- 12 FAQ
- 13 References
Sculptra acid has been used in Europe since 1999 to volumise the face and body.  Since then, it has helped both cosmetic and medical patients regain a healthy, youthful appearance, and their confidence. Once injected deep in the dermis, Sculptra slowly, steadily works to stimulate collagen production. In the weeks following treatment, the skin’s structure becomes reinforced with additional collagen. This added support volumizes and smooths the skin, and, correcting indentations, wrinkles, and folds. The beauty of the treatment is that results can last for up to two years. 
Sculptra can treat the following concerns:
- Hollow, cheeks, under-eye area, and temples
- Weak cheekbones
- Lack of chin definition
- Wrinkles and lines around the mouth, chin, or nose
Sculptra is an excellent minimally invasive solution for patients wishing to fight against the ageing process and bring back smooth, silky skin. The helpful PLLA ingredient found in Sculptra works below to the skin to ensure patients get a healthy resurgence of collagen to bring forth healthy, youthful-looking skin. This treatment volumises and smooths areas of the face to create a softer, natural look. Other bonuses you can look forward to are:
- Provides subtle and gradual improvements to the skin
- Better skin texture and tone
- Firmer skin with softer contours
- Long-lasting, natural-looking results
- Quick and easy treatment that can be done in under an hour
- Low risk of an allergic reaction
Healthy men and women looking to reverse the signs of ageing and improve volume and texture may greatly benefit from this treatment. But while Sculptra can rejuvenate the skin, it may not be for everyone. Interested candidates should consider the following when seeking treatment:
- Are 18 years old or older
- A desire to have natural, long-lasting results without surgery
- Are not currently pregnant or nursing
- Do not have any active outbreaks, rashes, or redness
- Not prone to keloids or hypertrophic scarring
Your Consultation with Dr. Grant Hamlet
Dr. Grant Hamlet is a cosmetic surgical office that offers a variety of body sculpting and non-invasive cosmetic procedures. We provide a holistic approach that includes patient safety, a streamlined process, and radiant results. Headed by Dr Hamlet, a dream team of experts delivers the best quality care to each of our patients.
You’ll meet with one of our nurse injectors at your consultation. First, they will conduct a brief physical exam, review your medical history, and note past cosmetic and surgical records. Next, we will discuss your aesthetic goals. Be sure to be as candid as possible to understand how we can help to develop your personalised treatment plan. Then, we’ll discuss how Sculptra treatment can smooth and restore graceful contours to the curves of your face. If we select this treatment method, your first session will be scheduled. Before this happens, however, remember to follow the preparatory instructions given to you by our staff. This is to ensure you enjoy a streamlined process and excellent results.
Envision a new youthful look with a personal consultation with Dr. Grant Hamlet in London.. Follow the easy prompts to schedule one online or phone us at 0207 127 4377. Until then, gain some insight into other treatments we offer by reading our blog. In addition, you can get the latest news on cosmetic surgery on our Twitter.
To ensure you have the best possible experience, Dr Hamet recommends patients to do the following weeks before their first session:
- Suspend medications such as blood thinners and NSAIDs because they may cause bleeding or bruising in the treated areas.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol temporarily to avoid healing complications.
- Skip skin-irritating products such as Retin-A, glycolic acid, and benzoyl peroxide.
- Arrive with a clean face without makeup or injuries.
Before your Sculptra treatment, you can elect to have a topical anaesthetic applied to the target areas to prevent any discomfort. Next, a trained staff member will use an ultra-fine needle to administer Sculptra into the subcutaneous tissue.  Finally, they will gently massage the areas to ensure an even solution distribution. Once each treated area is finished, you will be free to return to your daily routine.
Most patients can return to their normal activities right after treatment but patients should wait 24 hours before engaging in any strenuous movements. Sculptra goes to work underneath your skin to gradually increase collagen production, firm the skin, and erase fine lines. In the interim, you may have moderate swelling, bruising, and discomfort at the injection site. For relief, you can apply an ice pack to the treated area every few minutes for the first 24 hours. Dr Hamlet may also direct you to take paracetamol to soothe discomfort. You may also be directed to massage the area for about five minutes, five times a day, for five days. During your recovery period, you should also limit your sun exposure. To protect your skin, please apply SPF as directed by Dr Hamlet.
In the weeks ahead, the poly-L-lactic acid will provide steady skin improvements to the face. Most patients require 2-4 sessions done in 3-6 weeks intervals.  After that, patients can bask in their new look for up to two years.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Dr. Grant Hamlet is proud to offer patients countless choices of similar treatments that are MHRA approved. At your consultation, we may explore these options:
- Juvederm: Contains hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance found in the body that moisturises and nourishes the skin. It provides instant improvements to wrinkles, fine lines, and creases when injected. No surgery or downtime is needed.
- Voluma: As a part of the Juvederm family, Voluma also contains hyaluronic acid to address signs of ageing. But, this helpful injectable treatment is specifically designed to add filler to the cheeks. In as little as one session, patients will see a noticeable change in their appearance.
- Volbella: Volbella is another hyaluronic acid filler to erase wrinkles and creases. This dermal filler is a great option for patients who specifically want to add plumpness to their lips.
- Facelift: This long-lasting, surgical option to ageing makes various incisions around the face. Dr Hamlet gently removes excess skin and tightens up the underlying facial structures and remaining skin. By the end of the surgery, patients will see a remarkable change in their facial appearance.
How long do Sculptra results last?
Sculptra is unique from other fillers because the results can last up to two years. It is crucial to maintain a healthy skincare routine to maintain these results.
Can Sculptra be used on the lips?
No, Sculptra cannot be used on the lips. This Poly-L-lactic acid filler restores fullness in the cheeks, temples, and jawline. We can recommend other dermal fillers if you’re looking to adjust the size of your lips or reduce fine lines around this area.
How many Sculptra sessions will I need?
Most patients will benefit from a series of three sessions over a few months. Dr Hamlet and his staff will determine the number of treatments.
When can I see my Sculptra results?
Unlike other dermal fillers, Sculptra is a collagen stimulator and gradually increases production. As a result, within weeks of your first session, you will see reductions in facial wrinkles and folds.
- Goldberg, D., Guana, A., Volk, A., & Daro-Kaftan, E. (2013). Single-Arm Study for the Characterization of Human Tissue Response to Injectable Poly-L-Lactic Acid. Dermatologic Surgery, 39(6), 915–922. https://doi.org/10.1111/dsu.12164
- Lam, S. M., Azizzadeh, B., & Graivier, M. (2006). Injectable Poly-L-Lactic Acid (Sculptra): Technical Considerations in Soft-Tissue Contouring. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 118(Suppl), 55S63S. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.prs.0000234612.20611.5a
- NARINS, R. S. (2008). Minimizing Adverse Events Associated with Poly-l-lactic Acid Injection. Dermatologic Surgery, 34(s1), S100–S104. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4725.2008.34250.x
- Sickles, C. K., Nassereddin, A., & Gross, G. P. (2021). Poly-L-Lactic Acid. PubMed; StatPearls Publishing. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507871/
- Storer, M., Euwer, R., Calame, A., & Kourosh, A. S. (2016). Late-onset granuloma formation after poly-l-lactic acid injection. JAAD Case Reports, 2(1), 54–56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdcr.2015.11.017